Taking a break from book reviewing to bring some reflection and contemplation to Reading is my Superpower. I don’t generally blog about personal stuff, but the baby is still asleep and I’m showered and enjoying coffee and feel like blogging.
I rang in the New Year on the couch with Superfast Husband and Bean watching the ball drop on New York 1. I have never gone to Times Square for New Year’s Eve and never will. Big crowds just aren’t my scene, and these days, neither are big parties. The most rockingest New Years I ever had was the turn of the millennium, which I spent club hopping on South Beach in Miami with an ex-boyfriend who turned out to be a nice guy but an absolutely atrocious boyfriend. But we did have a fabulous time that night.
My resolutions for 2008:
- Learn to wear my baby so I can write while nursing. So for the sling hasn’t really done it for her. I’m hoping my new Moby wrap will make her happy.
- Train for and run the 2008 New York City Marathon in November. I qualified to run this year but got pregnant instead, which was a different kind of physical challenge.
- Spend more time reading and less time browsing the internet. Ever since Bean was born I’ve let the internet be my constant companion, and it’s a real time-waster. Reading while nursing is definitely possible, though a little tricky. I shouldn’t let that deter me. And I want Bean to see me reading so that she has an interest in it. I can’t wait to read with her! There are so many books on the shelf waiting for her.
- Enjoy each day with Bean. She changes so much! She’s already so different than she was when she was a newborn.
- Encourage and appreciate Superfast Husband. He works so hard for our family, juggling a business, his own writing, and now a new baby and a demanding wife. He’s sacrificed a lot in these first few weeks with Bean and I haven’t been giving him enough credit.
And now, my favorite movies of 2007. Thanks to awards season screeners, I’m pretty well caught up, though haven’t yet watched PT Anderson’s There Will Be Blood. The links are to reviews I wrote for my old job.
Best of 2007:
- Into Great Silence
- No Country for Old Men
- Into the Wild
- Black Snake Moan
- The Bourne Ultimatum
- Rescue Dawn
- The Lives of Others
Honorable mention: Grindhouse, The Savages, 3:10 to Yuma, This is England, Jindabyne, Longford
Worst: Sunshine, Stephanie Daley, Ghost Rider, Hannibal Rising
Favorites from Sundance 2007 that haven’t made it to theaters yet: Son of Rambow, Teeth
Happy New Year, everyone! Here’s to nothing but page-turners filled with perfect prose in 2008!