I have no intention of reading every book on this list. I have zero interest in reading anything more by Philip Roth, Saul Bellow, EL Doctorow, Thomas Pyncheon, or Don Dellillo than what I’ve already read, for example. But I did enjoy going through the list and finding out how well read I am.
I’ll be parsing this out over several posts. This particular post is in honor of the book I read for work last night, a collection of short stories by different authors featuring the same set of characters.
Here are the books I’ve read off the list from the 21st Century–14 out of 69.
1. Never Let Me Go – Kazuo Ishiguro
2. Saturday – Ian McEwan
3. On Beauty – Zadie Smith
4. The Plot Against America – Philip Roth
5. Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell
6. Fingersmith – Sarah Waters
7. Middlesex – Jeffrey Eugenides
8. Atonement – Ian McEwan
9. The Corrections – Jonathan Franzen
10. Choke – Chuck Palahniuk
11. Life of Pi – Yann Martel
12. White Teeth – Zadie Smith
13. The Blind Assassin – Margaret Atwood
14. Blonde – Joyce Carol Oates
I’d recommend reading all of these, honestly.
This list is annoyingly High Brow, despite the occasional sop to genre with Lord of the Rings and The Shining. Annoying.